The course aims to provide an overview of the historical development as well as the current practice of the European Union institutions. First and foremost, the most important selected theoretical approaches to European integration will be discussed in the context of the development of European Community since the 1950s. Consequently, the Union’s contractual structure and an analysis of the EU institutions under the Treaty of Lisbon will be debated. In addition, other components and agencies of the EU institutional structure will be properly explained. In the course students will be provided with an elementary terminology and topics related to the discussion of the current state of the EU. The course enables to understand and grasp the mechanisms of functioning of the Union, its institutional arrangement and basic competencies, as well as their subsidiary relation to the political institutions at the national level.
Výstupy předmětu - výstupy učení
After completing the course, the student is able to explain the mechanisms and implications of the European integration process, as well as to understand the development and functioning of the main institutions of the Union and to apply in practice the EU citizens’ rights. Furthermore, the student knows the basic sources of primary and secondary EU law and is able to describe the main reason and functioning of the EU decision-making mechanisms and processes.
Hlavní témata - hlavní problémové okruhy
1. European integration and its main agents
2. European integration and its development
3. Legal personality of the Union and supranationality
4. The main EU institutions: an overview
5. European Commission, European Parliament
6. Elections to the European Parliament
7. The European Council, the Council of the European Union and the Council of Europe
8. The Court of Justice of the EU, the European Ombudsman, European Public Prosecutor's Office (EPPO)
9. The Committee of the Regions, the EU advisory bodies and the EU agencies
10. EU policies
11. Future of the EU
12. Students’ presentations & debate