Aim of subject:
The aim of the course is to provide participants in the course “Public Administration and the European Union” with relevant knowledge, skills and abilities in selected thematic areas of public administration and management, with special regard to the European Union. More specifically, by studying the course, the participants will: 1)identify, explain and critically analyze selected practical issues of public administration in the EU and the Czech Republic using and applying basic concepts, legislation, structures, organizational rules, goals, and managerial functions; 2) understand the processes and activities of public administration in connection with administrative settings (EU), administrative reforms (EU member states) and the responsibilities of senior management for the activities performed including the internal control systems; 3)explain and justify the application of selected procedures, tools and techniques that can be used in administrative and managerial practice.
After taking the course, the student will be able to: a) understand, explain and critically analyze selected practical issues of public administration (especially basic concepts, legislation, structures, organization, goals, management, decision-making) with regard to the Czech Republic and the EU (bodies and institutions, funds) b) explain the issue of reforms and modernization of public administration, including New Public Management oriented reforms. c) explain the issues of management in public administration, including communication plus control processes and budgeting, with respect to the EU situation d)use specific examples to identify different administrative and managerial concepts in use by public or private organizations e)use specific examples to identify different administrative and managerial practices in use by public or private organizations e) orient himself/herself in professional texts f) solve a simple, specific public administration or management-related problem.
- Administration and the state, history and functions of public administration, administration and management. Terminology and definitions
- Legal, economic and organisational aspects of public administration
- Approaches and concepts of public administration.
- Public management: concepts, specifics, models of management, managerial functions (planning, organising, leadership, control), management and the EU
- Public administration characteristics and administrative reforms in the EU
- Publics in administration and administrative organisation (state, regional, local)
- Public administration and economics: budgeting, sourcing, control and accountability
- Public administration staff, appointments and politicisation of civil service
- Administration and the EU, implementation of EU administrative policies